Saturday, July 28, 2018

Dutch Sayings

I'm pretty lucky, at the Plant I am working with Bas Geldof a 62 year old ExxonMobil employee. Since we are the same age and have worked about the same number of years in the petrochemical industry we seem to have a lot in common.  He speaks very good English and is great to talk with.  We are always talking, comparing the Dutch way to the way we do things in America. Bas has taken the time to share Dutch culture through various Dutch sayings which I will now share with you.



The Dutch saying is "Nu komt de aap uit de mouw" it translates to "Now the monkey comes out of the sleeve" but it means "to let the cat out of the bag"

The Dutch saying is "Wie boter op zijn hoofd heeft, moet uit de zon blijven" it translates to "He who has butter on his head should stay out of the sun" it means “People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones”

Bas has explained to me he is on his second marriage and that divorce is very expensive in the Netherlands. His second wife is 10 years younger than him. They share a passion for motorcycle riding. They have participated in many Rider Days at Assen raceway a world famous track in the Netherlands.

The Dutch saying is "Met zijn neus in de boter vallen" it translates to "To fall with your nose in the butter" and it means "To be at the right place at the right time"

The Dutch saying "nog een kiezelsteen uit je schoen" it translates to "another pebble from your shoe" it means "one less problem in your life"

Bas had a heart attack about 2 years ago and was moved into the training department. Once the Project entered into the startup phase he was asked to help with the Startup, it is not something he wanted to do but it was his best friend who asked, so he is here. I'm lucky to be working with him, he is fun to work with as well as a hard worker.

Here is my favorite Dutch saying...

The Dutch say "Alsof er een engeltje over je tong piest" it translated to "as if an angel is peeing on my tongue" what is means is " I am really enjoying my meal or beer".

I'm getting a little hungry, so now I'm going to try and find that angel...


TJ in Holland









1 comment:

  1. I liked hearing the sayings, or rather looking at the Dutch. Did he type it for you as well? Great sayings, so far from ours yet so very close to ours after you translate them.

    Love
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete