Sunday, July 8, 2018

The Netherlands

When I was young I thought Holland was a country, it isn't.  This was what was taught in school. The Netherlands is the country, Holland is one province within the Netherlands.  In the 1600s until the 1900s most of the wealth power and prosperity was centered in the province of Holland so when a Dutch person was asked where they were from they responded Holland so people knew they were affluent.

Fun facts, the Netherlands has more bicycles than people and the men of the Netherlands are the tallest in the world (on average).

Tulips while always associated with the Netherlands are actually from Turkey. For some reason they really like the Dutch soil and eighty percent of the worlds flower bulbs are exported from the Netherlands.

Eighty six percent of the Dutch speak English as a second language.  I have only found a few people I could not converse with and I find all of them very pleasant to talk with and extremely helpful.



I am staying in a suburb of Rotterdam called Spijkenisse not far from the ExxonMobil refinery where I am working.  Here is a picture of the hotel where I reside, the Carlton Oasis.  It has a duck pond on one side of the hotel.  You can sit outside at the bar and watch the ducks while you drink your self into oblivion.



Having been here a week it was now time to find a place to do laundry because it is too expensive to have the hotel do it for me.  I did a Google search and a place popped up just across the street from the hotel so I walked over and saw a petrol station with a car wash, Google must have lost something in the translation.  Back to the hotel and after several more searches, all showing the same location, I went back and found 2 washers and one dryer, BINGO!  After several attempts I got the laundry started. As I turned to walk back to the hotel I noticed there was a dog wash station next to the washer/dryer.  WOW you can get fuel, get food, wash clothes, get your car washed and wash your dog all at the same place!!!  If they had beds I could stay here!

TJ in Holland

1 comment:

  1. No, you don't just need a bed for there, you need a dog. See what you can find while you are there. Glad your posting, for some reason it is saying I am unknown. This is Glenda, knowing me as you do it will take me some time to figure out how to get me known.

    ReplyDelete