Saturday, July 21, 2018

The Food

Several people have ask me to tell them about the food here in the Netherlands..I'll try.  For the most part the food I am eating here is similar to the food back home.  They seem to have a little more emphasis on healthy eating than we do.  The restaurants and cafes include some type of salad or cole slaw with every dish often excluding potatoes or fries when you would expect them and with the exception of the cafe at work the portions are a little smaller.  Price is higher, burgers will be 15-23 Euros ($17.50-$27), sodas are more expensive than beer (5.5 Euros for a pint, $6.50 for a coke).

Since an evening meal is included with our room package we eat mostly at the hotel restaurant.  After a week in a foreign country I usually fall into eating at McDonald's or other American style fast food place...it provides comfort as the stresses build....it has been three weeks and I have not eaten at an American Fast Food place yet...however I was tempted to eat at Five Guys last weekend.

One of the best things about being in Europe is the bread!  There are many different types and most are very good.  For breakfast I love a warm croissant, for a lunch sandwich I like a crusty Italian bread and for dinner just about anything. Below are some foods I have encountered.

Kroket is difficult to explain because there are so many different ways they are made.  The ones I have had are a long cylindrical deep fried creation.  Inside they have a filling that is a finely shredded meat mixed with some potatoes.   It is thick enough that it does not run out but very mushy/creamy.  Not a bad taste but the texture is not pleasing to me.






Frikendel is a Dutch deep fried snack sausage I see at work and sold by cafes and street vendors.  They are spicier than an American hot dog and are usually eaten without the bun.  They can be covered in mayonnaise or cheese and served with fries.





Patat is the common name for french fries in the Netherlands.  They are usually thick crispy fries that were said to be invented in Belgium.  The Dutchies love their Patat with large amounts of mayonnaise and often have them with other fired foods like a Kroket or Frikendel.  I have to ask for Ketchup and they look at me a little weird.



Stamppot is a traditional Dutch dish made from a combination of potatoes mashed with some vegetables.  These vegetables can include sauerkraut, kale, spinach, turnip greens or carrots and onions. I don't care for it, they serve it frequently at the work cafeteria.





Stroopwafel is one of my favorite snacks/desserts.  I first had them when my colegue in Saudi would bring them back from his visits home.  I think I may have sent you some before.  If you have never tasted them do a Amazon search and buy some!


Dutch Licorice is found everywhere and while I don't like it the Dutch do!  You will find jars or baskets of it on the hotel reception desk, on people's desks and sold by street vendors.

TJ in Holland

2 comments:

  1. Nice to have such a good description along with the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures are great. Elizabeth will have to bring me some fresh from The Netherlands Stroopwafel when she comes back. Thanks for sharing. Love, Glenda

    ReplyDelete